Can I work anywhere?

If you are under 18, you are not allowed to work where:

  • there is gambling
  • there is alcohol, unless the work is part of an appropriate training scheme such as an apprenticeship
  • you have to carry heavy loads, clean machinery or work with dangerous substances

You need your parent(s) or carers permission to join the armed services.

If you are in Year 11, the rules mean you must stay in some kind of education or training until, at least, your 18th birthday. If you leave full-time learning, you must take a job with training or an apprenticeship. You may see this referred to as ‘Raising the Participation Age’ (RPA). For more information check out Staying in Learning.

Related articles