Level 7-8 Professional and Postgraduate
Level 7 qualifications include:
Masters degrees such as MA, MSc, MBA
Postgraduate Certificates and Diplomas, such as the Postgraduate Certificate of Education (PGCE).
Level 8 qualifications include:
- Doctor of Philosophy, DPhil or PhD
- usually require a good first degree, though a degree and extensive work experience may be an accepted equivalent
- may be vocational, for example PGCE for teaching
- or gained through research
- or involve doing a taught course
- vary in length from one to three years full-time or offered on a part-time basis.
To become a chartered member of many professional bodies such as RICS (Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors), ICE ( Institution of Civil Engineering) you need an accredited degree, relevant work experience and further training.
Some jobs are protected in law and you can only do the work if you are a member of the relevant professional body.
There are plans for masters degrees to be offered as part of degree apprenticeships.
Look on GOV.UK for what different qualification levels mean