Becoming a childminder
For those wishing to become a childminder in Islington, the Early Years and Childcare team offer a pathway to becoming registered with Ofsted. The free support provided is a mixture of essential information, training and ongoing advice.
There is no face to face support due to current circumstances relating to Covid-19 but we are offering short online sessions called 'Pathway to registering as a childminder'. The next session is on
- Wednesday 8 June, 10-11.30am
For more information and to book email email@example.com
Islington Childminding Training
This is a free introductory training course available 3 times per year. The course supports prospective childminders in Islington preparing for their Ofsted registration. You need to attend a pathway session before you can attend the training course.
Due to current circumstances relating to Covid-19, the course will not be delivered face to face. The next course includes a mixture of teaching online, session tasks and self-learning.
The next course is on
- Wednesday 29, Thursday 30 June, Wednesday 6 and Thursday 7 July 2022
Contact Renate Laux, Childminding and Childcare Information Officer on 020 7527 5927 or email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions or would like more information.
Use the free HMRC online guidance to find out about self-employment, tax, National Insurance, business records and expenses. It provides useful tips and you can look at different subjects in your own time.
Find out how to become an Ofsted registered childminder. Ofsted's guidance for childminders explains what you need to do to register with Ofsted.
Pre-registration Childminding Course
Islington childminding pre-registration training is for Islington residents who are interested in becoming a childminder. This free course is part of our pathway to becoming registered with Ofsted.
The course offers structured training sessions with presentations and facilitated discussions including
- four online sessions from 10am to 1pm
- tasks to complete in your 2 hours self-learning time each day.
You will be assigned a named tutor on the first day so you can share your work, ask questions and get support throughout the course. We are a small team with a lot of experience working with Islington childminders.
The aim of the course is to
- support you to understand the process of becoming registered with Ofsted and building knowledge about becoming a childminder
- introduce the Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS) and develop understanding of the requirements of the EYFS
- explain how to make the home safe through risk assessments
- give an introduction on how to support children with special educational needs and disabilities (SEND)
- deliver an induction to safeguarding session including procedures.
To be able to attend the course you need to:
- attend a pathway session
- complete the enrolment form (your booking will be confirmed when we receive the enrolment form)
- have time to attend all sessions and to study in your own time
- have access to the internet and either a laptop, tablet or smart phone with a working camera
- be willing to take part in discussion about becoming a registered childminder and running your own business.