Benefits for young people

Benefit rules and regulations are complicated

Young people under 18 (and sometimes under 20) may not be able to claim many of the benefits available but if you are living independently or have an illness or disability or you are a parent, then do check out if you can claim any benefits.

Turn2us offers free confidential web based advice on benefits.

If you need help applying for benefits or because you disagree with decisions JobCentre Plus has made about your claim, these services in Islington can help:

  • Centre 404
  • Citizens Advice
  • Mary Ward Legal Centre

For more information on these, see the Related services links on this page.

If you are 16 and on a low income or unable to work, you may be able to apply for help. These are the main benefits:

Income Support may be paid if you are unable to work because you are a lone parent, registered as a disabled person or responsible for the care of a disabled relative.

Employment Support Allowance may be paid if you have an illness or disability which affects your ability to work.

Note: Universal Credit is replacing Income support and Employment Support Allowance

Disability Living Allowance can be claimed if you have a disability. The amount you receive depends upon the amount of care you need.

Check out benefits and if you can, apply by contacting JobCentre Plus on 0800 055 6688. Lines are open 8am to 5pm, Monday to Friday.

Local JobCentre Plus offices, see the Related services section on this page for more details: 

  • Barnbury JobcentrePlus
  • Finsbury JobCentrePlus

Related articles